“Jamal Walker-Bailey left his home in Whalley Range armed with a machete, before attacking two people on January 23 this year, in an incident a judge described as ‘terrorism-related’.
In the hours before the attack, the 26-year-old had broadcast over 2,000 messages on WhatsApp, sharing videos of the Israel Palestine conflict.
……………….
After being arrested, Walker-Bailey told police officers that he’d been ‘awake for five days without sleeping, watching nothing but videos of the Israel Palestine conflict’.
In the days prior to the attack, on January 23 this year, Walker-Bailey had also accessed YouTube videos about Axel Rudakubana, who a few days earlier had admitted murdering three girls in Southport and injuring ten others.
During the attack, he demanded of his victims: ‘Are you for Israel?’, ‘Do you know Israel – they’re killing kids bro’ and ‘do you want this?’, insinuating his knife.
At the police station, whilst waiting for a solicitor, Walker-Bailey said he believed they would bring him a ‘Jew solicitor’.
Prosecutors said he had also shown sympathies to Hamas, which has been proscribed by the government as a ‘terrorist organisation’, after he had shared a video referring to the victory speech of a leader of the militant wing of Hamas after the ceasefire.
After a trial, he was found guilty of two counts of attempting to inflict grievous bodily harm. He previously admitted affray, possession of an offensive weapon and a separate offence of possession with intent to supply class B drugs.”
8 years doesn’t seem enough.
No-Anxiety7198 on
Drug offences there as well sounds a nice chap glad he only got 8 years prob out in 5 I doubt here be a risk to the public
Longjumping_Stand889 on
Not an easy case for the ‘weed users are always peaceful’ crowd.
I suppose you could argue that he just hadn’t smoked enough to overcome everything else.
>Just a few minutes before leaving his home, he accessed a YouTube video of an ‘Islamic sermon’.
**The judge essentially says it was terrorism:**
>Dubbing him ‘wild and dangerous’, today (August 4) a judge jailed him for eight years. Finding the incident to be ‘terror-related’, Mr Justice Goss said: “I am satisfied having heard all of the evidence that you had formed views in relation to the conflict in Gaza, and were sympathetic to Hamas, a proscribed terrorism group.”
>“Your actions were designed to intimidate the public and …. advance an ideological cause,” he added.
**Yet these were the charges:**
>After a trial, he was found guilty of two counts of attempting to inflict grievous bodily harm. He previously admitted affray, possession of an offensive weapon and a separate offence of possession with intent to supply class B drugs.
**He even has prior violent convictions:**
>He said his previous convictions, including for a violent burglary as part of a group, showed that he had a ‘propensity to act impulsively and violently’.
4 commenti
“Jamal Walker-Bailey left his home in Whalley Range armed with a machete, before attacking two people on January 23 this year, in an incident a judge described as ‘terrorism-related’.
In the hours before the attack, the 26-year-old had broadcast over 2,000 messages on WhatsApp, sharing videos of the Israel Palestine conflict.
……………….
After being arrested, Walker-Bailey told police officers that he’d been ‘awake for five days without sleeping, watching nothing but videos of the Israel Palestine conflict’.
In the days prior to the attack, on January 23 this year, Walker-Bailey had also accessed YouTube videos about Axel Rudakubana, who a few days earlier had admitted murdering three girls in Southport and injuring ten others.
During the attack, he demanded of his victims: ‘Are you for Israel?’, ‘Do you know Israel – they’re killing kids bro’ and ‘do you want this?’, insinuating his knife.
At the police station, whilst waiting for a solicitor, Walker-Bailey said he believed they would bring him a ‘Jew solicitor’.
Prosecutors said he had also shown sympathies to Hamas, which has been proscribed by the government as a ‘terrorist organisation’, after he had shared a video referring to the victory speech of a leader of the militant wing of Hamas after the ceasefire.
After a trial, he was found guilty of two counts of attempting to inflict grievous bodily harm. He previously admitted affray, possession of an offensive weapon and a separate offence of possession with intent to supply class B drugs.”
8 years doesn’t seem enough.
Drug offences there as well sounds a nice chap glad he only got 8 years prob out in 5 I doubt here be a risk to the public
Not an easy case for the ‘weed users are always peaceful’ crowd.
I suppose you could argue that he just hadn’t smoked enough to overcome everything else.
**Why was he not charged with [terrorism](https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/knifeman-went-rampage-attacking-strangers-32106584)?**
>Just a few minutes before leaving his home, he accessed a YouTube video of an ‘Islamic sermon’.
**The judge essentially says it was terrorism:**
>Dubbing him ‘wild and dangerous’, today (August 4) a judge jailed him for eight years. Finding the incident to be ‘terror-related’, Mr Justice Goss said: “I am satisfied having heard all of the evidence that you had formed views in relation to the conflict in Gaza, and were sympathetic to Hamas, a proscribed terrorism group.”
>“Your actions were designed to intimidate the public and …. advance an ideological cause,” he added.
**Yet these were the charges:**
>After a trial, he was found guilty of two counts of attempting to inflict grievous bodily harm. He previously admitted affray, possession of an offensive weapon and a separate offence of possession with intent to supply class B drugs.
**He even has prior violent convictions:**
>He said his previous convictions, including for a violent burglary as part of a group, showed that he had a ‘propensity to act impulsively and violently’.